SACRAMENTO METROPOLITAN REGION SCHOLARSHIP
The Region 1, Chapter 27 of the International Right of Way Association (IRWA) Scholarship Program will provide a scholarship(s) to student(s) who plan on or are currently attending the California State University of Chico, California State University of Sacramento, University of California Davis and/or University of Pacific in pursuit of an undergraduate degree in one or more of the disciplines that are required of a right of way professional. These disciplines include: Surveying, Real Estate, Real Estate Law, Environmental Management, Civil Engineering, Planning and Appraisal Services.
This scholarship is intended to assist the college/university bound student with the opportunity to consider the right of way profession upon graduation and to increase their education and value as a perspective right of way profession employee. The right of way profession needs to develop younger members and this is one way the IRWA can support and strengthen the right of way profession.
The Scholarship is available to individuals who reside in the Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, El Dorado, San Joaquin, and Sacramento Counties who are:
1) graduating high school seniors or college or university students presently;
2) pursuing a degree and/or career in one of the disciplines of the right of way profession mentioned above;
3) attending or planning on attending California State University of Chico, California State University of Sacramento, University of California Davis and/or University of Pacific in the Spring of 2013 as a full or part-time student.
4)The minimum cumulative grade point average for eligibility is 3.00.
Scholarship Amount and Use:
Scholarship(s) in the amount of $500 to $1,000 shall be awarded for use towards attendance at either California State University of Chico, California State University of Sacramento, University of California Davis and/or University of Pacific.
The attached application form must be used exclusively. Applications must include the following:
1) A current transcript
2) A personal essay of 300 to 500 words in which you address such subjects as:
a) What motivated you to pursue your current career goal?
b) What do you hope to achieve upon obtaining your degree?
c) Who are your “role models” and why?
3) At least two letters of reference, one of which is from a faculty member and the other from someone who is not a member of the applicant’s family.
Applications must be postmarked no later than November 15, 2014.
Applications should be sent to:
IRWA Chapter 27
P.O. Box 162549
Sacramento, Ca. 95816-2549
Selection of the scholarship recipient(s) will be made by the Chapter’s Scholarship Committee and approved by its Board of Directors no later than December 31, 2012. Notification will be provided directly to the recipient. Applicants shall be available for an interview if requested by the Scholarship committee.
No preference is given to those Applicants who are family members or friends of an IRWA Chapter 27 Member. No preference is given to an applicant of an IRWA Member of another IRWA Region or IRWA Chapter who applies. All applicants who meet the criteria as required will be considered
Criteria for Awarding the Scholarship Include:
1) Completeness, accuracy and neatness of the application.
2) Demonstration of the consistency between the proposed training/education and goals set forth by the prospective recipient.
3) The length of time the applicant has lived/worked within the field.
4) Demonstration of the benefit to be derived by the recipient and perspective employers as a result of the proposed education/training.
Payment of Scholarship:
The scholarship(s) will be paid to the awardees' respective institution(s) after verification of enrollment from the institution has been received by the Chapter. Scholarships may be used for tuition; registration and other training fees; books and materials. Proceeds not awarded within 6 months of notification will be put back into the scholarship fund and re-awarded in the next round.
If you have any questions regarding the application form, scholarship program or application procedures, please call Jason Andrews at (916) 208-4278- or Julie Duchscherer at (530) 621-5922.